When Google speaks, we listen.
Smart business owners and savvy marketers know that having a mobile-friendly website plays a critical role in online search rankings. We learned the importance of mobile-responsive design – meaning your site adjusts to the size of the device it’s viewed on – back in 2015 (and shared our SEO tips here.) Slowly but surely, we’ve all jumped on board.
Why? Because seriously, folks – we are always on our phones. The use of hand-held devices to engage with brands has increased by over 90 percent in the past two years, with more and more searches now taking place on mobile devices vs. computers. The mobile movement has become such a force to be reckoned with that, in terms of search rank, Google is now penalizing sites that fail to provide a positive user experience.
Developing a Mobile Marketing Plan for your Business
In this mobile-centric environment, we need to learn from our customers’ behavior in order stay ahead of the curve. It’s no longer just about converting your desktop website to render well on smartphones and tablets. You must pay attention to and prioritize the experience your users have with your brand while they are on the go.
How do you capture your customers’ attention – and their business – when they find you via mobile search? Here are some quick tips you can implement to help boost engagement:
1. Your content strategy needs to be focused on a great user experience. Simply put, your site should be inviting, informative and a pleasure to navigate.
2. Users often jump from channel to channel. Make sure the flow from your website to your Facebook page to your contact page, for example, is absolutely seamless.
3. Mobile-only social apps like Instagram and Snapchat continue to gain popularity, a trend that shows no sign of slowing down. Look for ways to incorporate these apps into your overall social media marketing strategy.
4. Make your promotion or call to action crystal clear and prominent (this applies to all of your marketing platforms). Are you giving the customer a free download? Asking them to fill out a registration form? Offering a pop-up deal? Tell them exactly what to do and how to do it…
5. …and make sure the sign-up or checkout process is a cinch! Keep in mind that more and more consumers are getting comfortable with paying for goods and services with their devices. Accepting mobile payments eliminates a possible barrier to winning their business.
6. Consider turning your customers’ mobile devices into a marketing tool. A recent Gallup poll found that 75 percent of Americans check their mobile devices at least once per hour, and 90 percent of that time is spent using apps. Many small businesses are tapping the benefits of developing their own mobile app. It’s an inexpensive tool for increasing engagement with your brand and providing valuable consumer data. http://www.smarthustle.com/small-business-marketing-2017/
This Wrap News article sums it up: “With the mobile screen clearly moving from secondary channel to the primary channel for millions of people, smart marketers will take this opportunity to completely rethink their mobile mindset…mobile is measured in moments.”
So we say: seize the moment! It’s time to shift from a mobile-friendly mindset to a mobile-centric, customer-centric mindset. Business success has always been about satisfying the customer, and optimizing their experience on mobile is sure to win them over.
Let us help you develop a customized mobile marketing plan for your small to medium-sized business. Contact us today.